As impacts from global climate change gather force and escalate, a network of partners across the world is looking to secure an effective agreement in Paris, at the end of 2015, to stave off catastrophic climate disruption. The "bundle of everything" strategy for global treaty negotiations has not given us a true global solution. The global strategy whitepaper being released by Citizens' Climate Lobby offers a more streamlined, more direct approach to pricing carbon and reaching global agreement on how to frame what will ultimately be distinct policy choices that must set a strong price signal everywhere.
The whitepaper recommends an agreement to motivate carbon pricing country by country that follows these core principles:
- A steady, resolute and rising carbon price.
- Internalizing costs incrementally, steadily and with no leakage.
- Simple, transparent, effective at reducing emissions.
- Building economic value at the human scale.
- Easy to implement: country by country, harmonizing across borders.